Opening 8th January 2019
This competition will open on January 8th 2019 and close on February 15th 2019. This category is for a poem in English of not more than 70 lines submitted by a resident of County Roscommon, or a member of a County Roscommon Writers Group or anyone who ever attended a school in County Roscommon.
Roscommon Poets' Competition 2019
Conditions of Entry The Roscommon Poets Prize 2019
1) Entrants may submit an unlimited number of poems, by post or online, and each poem must be accompanied by the appropriate fee of:
€6 for each entry
Payment must be made in € Euro. Entries accompanied in currencies other than Euro will not be accepted.
Personal cheques, postal orders, bank drafts & money orders are accepted. Competitors may also enter online and pay by credit card or with Paypal at www.strokestownpoetry.org. Cheques should be made payable to Strokestown International Poetry and Tourism Company. Please write your name and address on the back of cheques.
2) Although entrants may submit an unlimited number of poems for the competition, no more than one poem from any entrant will feature on the shortlist.
3) All poems must be the original work of the entrant, written in English. Translations are not eligible. Poems must not have been previously published, self-published or published on a website or broadcast.
4) Poems must not exceed 70 lines (excluding title and stanza breaks), and be typed or very clearly written on one side of A4 paper only. The poems, and payment, should be attached to the entry form. The name of the entrant must not appear on the poems themselves. All poems are judged completely anonymously, and judges read all entries.
5) No alterations can be made to the poem once it has been submitted, and no entries can be returned.
6) The judges’ decisions are final and no correspondence can be entered into regarding those decisions. The judges’ shortlists will be announced by the beginning of April 2019. Shortlisted poets only will be notified. The prize-winner will be announced and awarded €150 during the Strokestown International Poetry Festival, Co. Roscommon, Ireland, which will take place from 2nd - 6th May 2019. Short-listed poets will be invited to read their poem at the festival, for which they will receive a reading fee of €50. In all competitions, prizes are inclusive of the relevant reading fee.
7) Copyright will remain with the competitor, but Strokestown Poetry Festival reserves the right to arrange publication on the website, or broadcast selected poems as it sees fit.
8) Submission of a poem implies the competitor’s acceptance of the conditions set out above.
Judge Iggy McGovern